School of Education Student Services assists prospective and current students in pursuing a major in one of the programs offered within the School of Education. Student Services staff will work with students from their early stages of major exploration through graduation, helping with general program information, course registration, application to teacher education, field experiences, graduation requirements and teacher licensure.
Initial Contact with Student Services
1. After one semester of college work, call Student Services at (618) 650-3940 and ask to start an advising file for Elementary Education. Our Student Services advisors will review your academic information and send you a customized academic plan.
- Please send a copy of all your previous college course work unless you are an SIUE student or newly admitted to SIUE.
2. One you receive your customized academic plan, please review it and schedule a first appointment. Your plan will include personalized copies of the following forms: Program Sheet, General Information and Guidelines, ICTS Registration Information
First Appointments in Student Services: First appointments are designed for you to meet your advisor, discuss the program requirements, review your program sheet, and provide an opportunity to ask your advisor specific questions. For your first appointment, you should bring the following documents:
- Your program sheet
- A list of questions you may have for your advisor
- CI 200 (or its equivalent) completed with a grade of C or higher
- Skills Courses completed with C or higher (ENG 101, ENG 102, SPC 103, PHIL 106 (Logic) and CMIS 108)
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 (All post-secondary institutions attended)
- Good Standing (grade point of 2.0 or higher) status at SIUE (if in attendance)
- Passing scores on the Illinois Test of Academic Proficiency (test code 400). If scores are not on file, students must provide a copy to Academic Advising when declaring.
- 42 semester hours completed