Admission RequirementsTo be considered for admission to the EChOS program, a student must:
- complete all general education requirements;
- obtain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher from all post-high school course work and be in good standing at SIUE;
- pass the Illinois Certification Testing System – Test of Basic Skills (icts.nesinc.com) (only for student seeking certification);
- pass CI 200, Introduction to Education (or equivalent) with a C or better;
- apply to the EChOS program by the published deadline; and
- pass a criminal background check.
Note: Meeting minimum requirements for admission to EChOS does not guarantee acceptance. There may be more applicants than there are openings.
Students should contact an Early Childhood Education advisor for admission requirements and deadlines. The EChOS program begins in the fall semester. Applications are accepted through the preceding summer semester.
Moving from Non-Certification to Certification
Students admitted under a non-certification option or who graduated without certification may pursue initial teacher certification in Illinois. To be eligible for certification, students must:
- reapply to an early childhood program with a certification option;
- have graduated less than 5 years before the date of application for admission to a certification program;
- be in good academic standing at SIUE;
- have a combined GPA of 2.5 or higher in all post-secondary work;
- pass the ICTS Basic Skills Test and all other applicable certification tests;
- complete all applicable program and/or certification requirements since graduation;
- successfully complete an appropriate student teaching experience.