Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
Institutional Header

Program Information

AEGD Resident


Do you enjoy variety? Our residency program offers several distinct rotations, each with diverse patient populations and each supported by an exceptional team of faculty and staff members. We believe our program offers a unique opportunity for experience and education.


Our AEGD program is a one-year program with an optional second year. Both options provide the opportunity for residents to increase their knowledge through direct patient care, lectures, seminars and workshops. In the second year, residents have greater flexibility to custom design a program permitting emphasis in his/her area of interest, including research.


Approximately 85% of your time will be devoted to advanced clinical care. The remaining 15% is didactic coursework.





Program Goals and Objectives AEGD Resident

  1. To demonstrate evidence of value-added knowledge in all phases of general dentistry.

  2. To enhance the resident's ability to act as the coordinator of the patient's total oral health care.

  3. To educate the resident in providing a comprehensive range of dental services to diverse patient groups, including medically-compromised, disabled, pediatric and geriatric populations.

  4. To develop lifelong learners in dentistry who can review the dental literature and use it to provide up-to-date clinical care.

  5. To provide opportunities for service in community dentistry projects and to provide dental treatment to underserved populations in the region.


Dental Implant Rotation Goals and Objectives

Upon completion of this rotation, the AEGD resident must be able to:

  1. Develop an understanding of diagnosis, treatment planning, treatment-associated complications, and maintenance procedures in implant dentistry

  2. Provide information about dental implants as the standard of care

  3. Provide a comprehensive range of dental services involving dental implants

  4. Manage implant complications

Oral Surgery Rotation Goals and Objectives

Upon completion of this rotation, the AEGD resident must be able to:

  1. Treat non-complex, intraoral infections

  2. Perform non-surgical extractions of teeth

  3. Perform surgical extractions of teeth

  4. Perform non-complex pre-prosthetic surgery

  5. Perform intraoral biopsies

  6. Treat intraoral hard and soft tissue trauma

  7. Recognize and manage oral pathologic lesions

  8. Treat post-operative complications

Pediatric Dentistry Rotation Goals and Objectives

Upon completion of this rotation, the AEGD resident must be able to:

  1. Serve as the primary care provider

  2. Complete a thorough history, review of systems and appropriate physical evaluation

  3. Complete a thorough head and neck examination

  4. Treat pediatric patients with simple needs as well as those with complex needs or management problems

  5. Use appropriate behavior management skills with the pediatric patients

Special Needs Clinic Rotation Goals and Objectives

Upon completion of this rotation, the AEGD resident must be able to:

  1. Provide appropriate dental services for patients with special needs

  2. Use a multidisciplinary, team approach in obtaining appropriate consents (e.g. power of attorney for health care) to provide dental treatment

  3. Manage behavioral and pharmacological issues presented by some patients with special needs

  4. Use adjunctive equipment to better serve patients with special needs