Mission, Vision, Goals
The mission of Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine is to educate dentists and improve the oral health of the region through patient care, research / scholarship and service.
The School of Dental Medicine will be nationally recognized for excellence in contemporary dental education that is delivered in an environment of inclusiveness and respect.
The Goals of the Southern Illinois University School of Dental Medicine are to:
Provide predoctoral and postdoctoral students with a quality education that integrates evidence-based knowledge and skills in the clinical, biomedical, and behavioral sciences necessary to become competent and proficient practitioners.
- Develop practitioners who think critically, value life-long learning and exhibit ethical decision-making and professionalism.
- Provide comprehensive and patient-centered dental care for patients in our clinics.
- Improve access to oral health care in the region through the practice of our graduates.
Research / Scholarship
- Provide an environment for the faculty and students that promotes, encourages and supports research / scholarship.
- Provide an environment that promotes collaborative research / scholarly activities among School, University and external colleagues.
- Address the oral health needs of the region through continuing dental education, oral health literacy and community service efforts.
- Provide leadership and service through faculty, staff and student participation in University, community and professional activities.
Approved by the SDM Faculty Assembly on December 20, 2010