Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Logo
Apply to SIUE
Counseling Services

Counseling Services
Institutional Header

What is Counseling Services?

Counseling Services is a department within the division of Student Affairs. We are staffed by professional psychologists and counselors trained to help you acquire more effective skills for coping with the challenges and problems of living. Our staff is committed to meeting the special needs of individuals from diverse backgrounds, including differences of culture, race, gender, ability and sexual orientation.

Counseling Services provides psychotherapy and counseling to students coping with educational, personal, and/or interpersonal issues; offers crisis intervention for residential students; and serves as a practicum site for students enrolled in masters-level clinical psychology and related programs.

The office provides sexual assault counseling and advocacy for students, and alcohol and drug information to the campus community. The counseling staff is committed to helping students adjust to living and learning in a university environment and to realize their worth and potential. Student counseling is conducted in a private setting, and all information remains confidential according to Illinois law.

Counseling Services is located in the Counseling and Health Services office suite on the garden level of the Student Success Center in Room 0220.

What is counseling?

Counseling can involve short-term problem resolution or longer, more intensive psychotherapy. It can be useful to those with mild difficulty in their lives as well as those with more serious or longstanding problems. A variety of concerns, such as relationships, self-image, depression, values, eating disorders, and alcohol or drug dependency can be discussed in counseling.

Who can use Counseling Services?

Services are available to all SIUE students currently enrolled in 3 or more credit hours who have paid tuition and student fees. Consultation services regarding students of concern are available to students, faculty and staff at SIUE.

How do I know if I need counseling?

People seek counseling for a wide range of problems. For example, some people come to get help with a difficult decision and others come because they feel overwhelmed by the stressors in their lives. Some common reasons for coming to counseling include relationship problems, academic anxieties, feeling unusually sad, irritability, sleep problems, eating problems, having a hard time paying attention, feeling lonely, suicidal thoughts, and worrying too much. If you are not sure that you need counseling but think it might help, give us a call and try it out.

How do I get started?

The best way to start is by calling the Counseling and Health Service office at (618)650-2842 and scheduling an intake appointment.  You can also come to Counseling Services to complete these steps. If you have any questions, feel free to call our helpful front desk staff at (618) 650-2842. Please read our appointments information for more details.

How much does counseling cost?

Our services are free to students currently enrolled in 3 or more credit hours who have paid tuition and fees.  We anticipate charging no-show and late-cancellation fees in the near future.

Where is Counseling Services located?

We are located in the Student Success Center, Lower Level, in the Counseling and Health Services suite Room 0220. The Student Success Center is adjacent and connected to the Morris University Center. Please read our contact information for more details.

When is Counseling Services open?

Our hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

How many sessions am I eligible for?

In general, students attend 3-5 sessions.  Students are limited to 10 to 15 individual sessions per presenting issue. Counseling Services reserves the right to refer clients for counseling elsewhere as may be clinically indicated.

Can I get medication if I need it?

Health Services has a part-time psychiatrist on staff to assist with the medication needs of students. Contact Health Services at (618)650-2842 for more information.

What about confidentiality?

Counseling services are confidential. We will not give any information to anyone without your written consent. This includes your parents and other offices or departments in the university. Our records are defined as confidential medical records by both state and federal law. We keep records for seven years, and then they are shredded. There are a few exceptions to the rules of confidentiality. These include cases of child or elder abuse or neglect, court orders to release information, or situations where we believe the client is a serious and immediate danger to self or others. Please feel free to discuss your questions about privacy and confidentiality with your counselor. Please read our policies information for more details.

What services do we offer?

Counseling Services uses a short-term model for counseling.  Counselors provide group counseling, individual counseling, and referrals to community providers. 

What if I have an drug or alcohol problem?

Personal problems related to substance use are frequently addressed in counseling. Counseling Services does not provide substance abuse treatment, but we will assist in referring to a community provider.  For more information, please see the Alcohol and Drug Policy.

What do I do if there is a mental health emergency?

Counseling Services provides crisis intervention for students who are experiencing a mental health crisis. During normal working hours, students may call 618-650-2842 to request a same day appointment to discuss urgent situations. Our staff is available for emergencies and consultations from 8:00 to 4:30 M-F during the regular school year. For assistance after normal working hours, call SIUE Campus Police at 911. Please read our emergency information for more details.

What if I have to cancel or reschedule an appointment?

Please call 618-650-2842 to cancel or reschedule. We expect that you notify the office by 8:00 am the day of your scheduled appointment if you are unable to keep an an appointment so that we can schedule someone else for that hour. Your active participation in the counseling process is necessary for progress to be made. Repeatedly missed or canceled appointments may result in a discontinuation of services and a referral to a more appropriate health service provider. Please see the "Attendance Policies" under Policies and Procedures.

facebookoff twitteroff vineoff linkedinoff flickeroff instagramoff googleplusoff socialoff