SIU Edwardsville has been shaping the future since 1957, offering quality undergraduate study and programming forged with a solid commitment to the economic development of Southwestern Illinois as well as to the St. Louis Metropolitan Area.
The campus is situated on 2,660 acres of beautiful, forested woodland atop the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River bottom land, only 25 minutes from downtown St. Louis.
SIUE is also one of the best higher education values in the Midwest, with the lowest in-state tuition rate of any public Illinois college or university. And, our student-faculty ratio is excellent at 17 to 1.
As important as location, affordability, and student-faculty ratios, we are an institution with a clear purpose and a clear mission. There is ample evidence that we have achieved excellence in undergraduate education and that we are a premier metropolitan University:
- For the third consecutive year, U.S.News & World Report has heralded SIUE as an “up and coming school.” One of 46 schools nationwide recognized for its innovative changes, SIUE was also ranked, for the eighth-consecutive year, among the top 15 public Midwestern master’s universities.
- Fall 2011 enrollment is 14,235 students, the largest in the history of the University. Applications to SIUE undergraduate and graduate school programs reached 16,501 this year.
- SIUE’s new School of Pharmacy program graduated its first class in May 2009. One month later, the School achieved full accreditation status and is now being hailed as a national model of excellence for new pharmacy programs.
- The National Science Foundation ranks SIUE highest among Illinois Board of Higher Education peer institutions with nearly $31.8 million in total research and development expenditures.
- The School of Nursing uses the most sophisticated, state-of-the-art, simulated learning lab in the region, serving an enrollment of students that is at an all-time high. The School has received 10-year accreditation, the longest possible term, under the guidelines of the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- SIU School of Dental Medicine graduates consistently rank high among the nation’s 62 dental schools on national board exams.
- The SIUE East St. Louis Center serves as a national model for how universities can empower people and strengthen communities.
- Washington Monthly cites SIUE among the Top 50 master’s granting colleges and universities in the nation, and 13th among public institutions listed. Rankings are determined by institutions’ commitment to the public good in three broad categories: social mobility, research and service.
- National online magazine The Daily Beast ranks SIUE 21st in the nation among its Top 50 Safest Colleges.
- SIUE has been named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in the Distinction category by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
- G.I. Jobs Magazine designated SIUE a Military Friendly School for 2012, placing SIUE in the top 20 percent of schools in the nation.
The Carnegie Commission categorizes SIUE as primarily a residential campus, providing student life activities comparable to many larger universities. SIUE adds value to people’s lives and offers resources for continuous enrichment.
Some information taken from the SIUE 2010-2011 Chancellor’s Report.