SIU Edwardsville has been shaping the future since 1957, offering quality undergraduate and graduate programs forged with a solid commitment to the economic development of Southwestern Illinois and the St. Louis Metropolitan area.
The campus is situated on 2,660 acres of beautiful, forested woodland atop the bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River bottom land, only 25 minutes from downtown St. Louis.
SIUE is also one of the best higher education values in the Midwest, with one of the lowest tuition and required fees of all four-year institutions in Illinois. And, our student-faculty ratio is excellent at 17 to 1.
As important as location, affordability and student-faculty ratios, we are an institution with a clear purpose and a clear mission. There is ample evidence that we have achieved excellence in undergraduate and graduate education and that we are a premier metropolitan University:
- For the 13th consecutive year, U.S. News & World Reportranks SIUE among the best Regional Universities Midwest. The University is 13th-overall among public universities in that category.
- SIUE ranks second among all Illinois public institutions for lowest student loan debt, according to LendEDU. More than 42 percent of SIUE students graduate with zero student debt.
- SIUE has received the 2016 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine, the oldest and largest diversity-focused publication in higher education. This is the third consecutive year the University received this recognition.
- Fall 2016 enrollment is 14,142 students, among the largest in the history of the University.
- This fall, SIUE’s freshman class holds an ACT average of 23.4, among the highest in the University’s history; the headcount for new transfer students represents the second largest fall transfer class in the history of SIUE; international enrollment reached 392.
- SIUE ranks first among all Emerging Research Institutions in the Midwest for research expenditures according to the National Science Foundation.
- The School of Nursing uses the most sophisticated, state-of-the-art, simulated learning lab in the region, serving an enrollment of students that is at an all-time high. The School has received 10-year accreditation, the longest possible term, under the guidelines of the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- The SIUE School of Pharmacy has received continued accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. This recognition will be valid until 2023 and shows a great amount of well-deserved confidence in the quality of our program.
- SIU School of Dental Medicine graduates consistently rank high among the nation's dental schools on national board exams.
- The SIUE East St. Louis Center serves as a national model for how universities can empower people and strengthen communities.
- For the seventh consecutive year, Washington Monthly has ranked SIUE among the Top 60 master’s granting institutions in the nation. SIUE is ranked third among all master’s universities in Illinois. Rankings are determined by institutions' commitment to the public good in three broad categories: social mobility, research and service.
- SIUE is set in one of the Top 30 Safest College Towns in America, according to the 2016 Safewise Report. Edwardsville ranked number 25 on the list.
- SIUE has been named to the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for the sixth consecutive year by the Corporation for National and Community Service.
- For the seventh consecutive year, Victory Media designated SIUE a Military Friendly School for 2016.
The Carnegie Commission categorizes SIUE as primarily a residential campus, providing student life activities comparable to many larger universities. SIUE adds value to people's lives and offers resources for continuous enrichment.