Helping Illinois Businesses Succeed in the Global Marketplace
- Illinois placed fifth among the fifty states (#1 in the Midwest) in total exports last year with over $68 billion in international shipments.
- From 2009 through 2012, Illinois exports increased by over $26 billion.
- In 2012, products from Illinois were sent to 220 countries.
- Top countries for Illinois' exports are Canada, Mexico, Australia, China, Germany, Brazil, Japan, United Kingdom, Belgium, and Chile.
- 89% of Illinois exporters were small and medium-sized businesses.
- 632,800 Illinois jobs were supported by exports in 2010.
- Direct exports accounted for 10% of the Gross State Product (GSP) in 2012.
- Wages for workers in manufacturing and service exporting sectors, where Illinois is strongest, substantially exceed the U.S. average.
- Export-supported jobs linked to manufacturing account for an estimated 7.1 percent of Illinois' total private-sector employment. One-quarter (24.7 percent) of all manufacturing workers in Illinois depend on exports for their jobs, the ninth highest among the 50 states. (2008 data are the latest available)
- International sales are the key to long-term business survival in today's competitive global environment. Illinois industries with significant export potential include: Industrial Machinery, Computer/Electronic Products, Electrical & Transportation Equipment, Chemicals, Plastics, Metals, Agricultural and Food Products.
Illinois and NAFTA
- Illinois has realized significant benefits from NAFTA related trade.
- Canada and Mexico are Illinois' two largest trading partners importing approximately 38% of Illinois' total exports.
- Illinois exports totaled more than $25 billion to NAFTA country partners in 2012.
Illinois Exports, Jobs, and Foreign Investment
Illinois Trade Statistics (Global Edge)
Illinois Export Data (U.S. Chamber of Commerce)
Illinois in the International Marketplace (State of Illinois)
Trade Between Illinois And The World (State of Illinois)
Export Values in Illinois Hit Record High (Illinois Innovation Index)