John C. Navin, Ph.D.
Professor and Chair
Member of the Faculty Since: 1991
Ph.D., Michigan State University, 1992
M.A., Michigan State University, 1992
B.A., B.S., Bowling Green State University, 1987
- Office: Alumni Hall-3134
- Office Phone: (618) 650-2542
- Fax: (618) 650-3047
- Email: email@example.com
- Economics 301: Intermediate Microeconomics
- Economics 331: Labor Economics
- Econ 528: Managerial Economics
- Econ 345: Economics of the Public Sector
- Econ 445: State and Local Public Finance
- "How Does Implementation of Smoking Ban Affect Gambling?", in The Oxford Handbook of Gambling, edited by Leighton Vaughan Williams and Donald Siegel, Oxford University Press, NY. Forthcoming. (with Timothy S. Sullivan and Warren Richards)
- "Trends in the United States Mobile Wireless Industry and Impact of a Merger of AT&T and T-Mobile on the Trends and Overall Competitiveness of the Wireless Industry," in Strategy, Adoption and Competitive Advantage of Mobile Services in the Global Economy, edited by In Lee, IGI Global, Hershey, PA. Forthcoming. (with John B. Meisel and Timothy S. Sullivan).
- “The FCC National Broadband Plan,”, Y.K. Dwivedi (ed), Adoption, Usage, and Global Impact of Broadband Technologies: Diffusion, Practice and Policy, (with Timothy S. Sullivan and John B. Meisel) IGI Global: Information Science Reference, Hershey, PA: USA (2010).
- “Does Open Access Really Make Sense? A Closer Look at Chemistry, Economics, and Mathematics,” with Joseph A. Starratt. Vol 68 (2007) Journal of College & Research Libraries, pp. 323-327.
- “Do Riverboat Casinos Act as Competitors? A Look at the St. Louis Market,” with Timothy S. Sullivan, Economic Development Quarterly, Vol. 21, No.1, February 2007, pp. 49-59.
- "Household Income and Wealth," in Where we Stand: The Strategic Assessment of the St. Louis Region, 5th ed, East-West Gateway Council of Governments, 2006.
- "Do Riverboat Casinos Act as Competitors? A Look at the St. Louis Market," (with Timothy S. Sullivan), Economic Development Quarterly, Vol. 21, No. 1, February 2007, pp. 49-59.
- "Teaching College Economics in a High School Setting: Lessons Learned and Implementation Strategies," International Review of Economics Education, Volume 5, Issue 1, 2006 (with Kathryn Martell and Timothy S. Sullivan).
- "The Relationship Between Bargaining Power and Salary: Evidence From the National Hockey League," (with Timothy S. Sullivan), The Southern Business and Economic Journal, Vol. 27, No. 3 & 4, Summer/Fall 2004.
- "Recommended for a Healthy Economy: The Importance of the Health Care Sector in Madison and St. Clair Counties," (with Timothy S. Sullivan), commissioned by the Leadership Council Southwest Illinois, March 2005.
- “Has the Increased Reliance on Sin Taxes Affected the Variability of Illinois Revenue Stream?” with Timothy S. Sullivan and Warren D. Richards, Midwest Economics Association, Evanston, IL, March 2010
- “Will Riverboat Profits go up in Smoke? The Effect of the Illinois State Smoking Ban on Casino Revenue” with Timothy S. Sullivan and Warren D. Richards, Midwest Economics Association, Cleveland, OH, March, 2009.
- “The Impact of Falling Property Values on Illinois’ Multiplier Based Property Tax System in Madison County Illinois,” with Timothy S. Sullivan and Warren D. Richards, Midwest Economics Association, Cleveland, OH, March 2009
- “One Step Forward and Two Steps Back: An Overview of the National and Regional Economy,” St. Louis Labor & Employment Relations Association, St. Louis, MO, June, 2008.
- "Recommended for a Healthy Economy: The Importance of the Health Care Sector in Madison and St. Clair Counties," (with Timothy S. Sullivan), presented to the Labor-Management Committee of the Leadership Council Soutwestern Illinois, July 28, 2005.
- “Traditional or Managed Care? Predicting the Choice of Medicare Recipients,” (with Timothy S. Sullivan) Presented at the Midwest Economics Association Meetings, March 2001.
Prior to joining the SIUE faculty, Dr. Navin was an analyst for both the Michigan Senate Fiscal Agency and the Michigan Department of Treasury in the Office of Taxation and Economic Policy. Dr. Navin also served as Chairman of the University Planning and Budget Council from 2007 through 2010.
Professor Navin has published in Public Finance Quarterly, Growth and Change, Health Economics, Journal of Economics, Public Budgeting and Finance, International Review of Economics and Business and the Proceedings of the National Tax Association Annual Conference on Taxation.
His current research interests include examining the effects of differential state medicaid benefits on female labor supply, the impact of state health insurance regulation on job lock and the effect of river boat gambling on state and local government.