Graduate Level - CMIS 587 Information Systems Internship
General: Enrollment in CMIS 587 requires you to have graduate status as a student in the MS in Computer Management and Information Systems program during the term in which the internship is to be completed. The course is only open to graduate students. The CMIS 587 internship may be taken for 3 hours of credit. The course may not be repeated for additional internship credit. In order to complete 3 credit hours, you must complete at least 120 hours on the job as an intern with the company that is sponsoring your internship.
Internship Company: It is most desirable for you to find an internship position as this is most likely to enable you to work in an area within the information systems field that interests you. You may find positions advertised through the Career Development Center or you may find positions through advertisements or by other means. The CMIS department will also assist you in finding internship positions, but they may not necessarily be positions that are of most interest to you.
Enrollment Requirements and Procedures: CMIS 587 is credited as a CMIS elective within your program of study. In order to enroll, you must complete the Internship Approval Letter (hyperlink to the letter is given below) and deliver it to the MS CMIS Program Director as evidence that you have identified a firm that is willing to sponsor the internship. Enrollment will not be approved until the letter is received in hard-copy (no emails):
- CMIS 587 Syllabus
- Internship Approval Letter - Take this form to the supervisor at the firm where you will complete your internship - complete the form, have it signed, and return it to the MS CMIS Program Director.
- Complete the Independent Study/Internship Enrollment Form (click the hyperlink to obtain a copy - or obtain a copy of the form from the Business Student Services Office).
- Deliver the signed Internship Approval Letter and the Independent Study/Internship enrollment form to the MS CMIS Program Director. Enrollment will not be approved until the Internship Approval Letter is received in hard-copy (no emails). If the MS CMIS Program Director is out of the office, leave both forms with the CMIS Department Secretary or student worker. The MS CMIS Program Director will keep the Internship Approval Letter on file as evidence that you have identified a firm that is willing to sponsor the internship. The Internship Enrollment Form will be signed and returned to you. If you dropped off the forms, you may pick them up at a later time.
- Go to the Business Student Services office with the signed Independent Study/Internship Enrollment Form and enroll in CMIS 587.
End of Term Evaluation:
- Internship Evaluation Form - Take this form to the supervisor at the firm where you have worked as an intern. Ask the supervisor to complete the form and forward it to the MS CMIS Program Director one week prior to final examination week. Mailing address for the MS CMIS Program Director is stated on the Internship Evaluation Form.
- Submit the required paper as per the course syllabus.