BIBLIOGRAPHY OF SECONDARY WORKS ON WEIL IN ENGLISH
1990s (incomplete, except for books)
Prepared By: Eric O. Springsted
- Abosch, H.,
Simone Weil: An Introduction, (trans. K.A. Kenny) New York, 1994: Pennbridge Books.
- Allen, D. & Springsted, E. O.,
Spirit, Nature and Community: Issues in the Thought of Simone Weil, Albany, 1994: State University of New York Press.
- Bell, R. (Editor),
Simone Weil's Philosophy of Culture: Readings Toward a Divine Humanity, Cambridge, 1993: Cambridge University Press.
- Brueck, K.,
The Redemption of Tragedy: The Literary Vision of Simone Weil, Albany: 1995, SUNY Press.
- Dargan, J.,
Thing Poetically: Studies in the Style of Simone Weil, Albany, 1999, SUNY Press.
- Dunaway, J. & Springsted, E. (Eds.),
The Beauty that Saves: Essays on Aesthetics and Language in Simone Weil, Macon: Mercer University Press, 1996.
- Finch, H.L.,
Simone Weil and The Intellect of Grace. New York, Continuum International, 1999.
- Nevin, T.,
Simone Weil: Portrait of a Self-Exiled Jew, Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1991.
- Nye, A.,
Philosophia: The Thought of Rosa Luxembourg, Simone Weil and Hannah Arendt, London: 1994, Routledge.
- Oxenhandler, N.,
Looking for Heroes in Postwar France: Albert Camus, Max Jacob and Simone Weil, 1996, University Press of New England.
- Patsouras, L,.
Simone Weil and the Socialist Tradition, San Francisco: Mellen Research University Press, 1992.
- Rhees, Rush.,
Discussions of Simone Weil. Ed. D.Z. Phillips. Albany: State University of New York Press, 2000.
- Springsted, E.O. (see 1 Allen, D. & Springsted, E.O.& I.6 Dunaway,J. & Springsted, E.).
- Stokes, Thomas,
Audience, Intention, and Rhetoric in Pascal and Simone Weil, New York: Peter Lang, 1996 (vol.22 "Currents in Comparative Romance Languages and Literatures").
- Strickland, S.
The Red Virgin: A Poem of Simone Weil, Madison: University of Wisconsin Press 1993.
- 16. Vetö, M.,
The Religious Metaphysics of Simone Weil, (trans. J. Dargan) Albany, 1994: State University of New York Press.
II. Articles and Chapters in Books
- Allen, D., "Liberation from Illusion,"
The Christian Century, August 22-29, 1990.
- Allen, D. "The Concept of Reading and the 'Book of Nature'" in I.1 and I.2.
- Allen, D., "Manifestations of the Supernatural according to Simone Weil,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XVII.3 Sept. 1994.
- Andic, M. "Fairy Tales," Cahiers Simone Weil, XV.1, Mar., 1992.
- Andic, M. "Discernment and the Imagination" in I.2.
- Andic, M., "Supernatural Justice and the Madness of Love,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XVII.4 Dec. 1994.
- Andic, M. "The Love of Truth,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XVIII.4 (dec. 1995), pp. 389-418.
- Beauchesne, R. "Attention in Simone Weil, and Dying as Supreme Attention,"
Église et Théologie, 24 (1993), pp.259-271.
- Bell, R. "Introduction: Divine Humanity: Simone Weil's Philosophy of Culture," in I.2.
- Bell, R. "Reading Simone on Rights, Justice and Love," in I.2.
- Blum, L., "Simone Weil," in
Encyclopedia of Ethics, ed. Becker and Becker, NewYork, 1992: Garland Publishing, Inc.
- Brueck, K.T., "Simone Weil's Attachment,"
Crosscurrents: Religion and Intellectual Life, February, 1991.
- *Burns, S.A.M., "Justice and Impersonality: Simone Weil on Rights and Obligations,"
LavalThéologique et Philosophique, 49(3), Oct. 1993.
- Callahan, A., "Simone Weil: Witness to Solidarity in Affliction," Chapter 4 of
Spiritual Guides for Today, New York: Crossroad, 1992.
- Collins, R. & F. Nielsen, "The Spirit of Simone Weil's Law," in I.2.
- Daniels, Kate "Excerpts from the Testimony of Simone Weil" (poem)
The Critical Quarterly, vol. 35, no.2 (Summer, 1993) pp.94-96.
- Devaux, A.-A., "On the Right Use of Contradiction according to Simone Weil," in I.2.
- Evans, C.A., "The Nature of Narrative in Simone Weil's Vision of History,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XVII.1 mars, 1994.
- Finch, H.L., "Simone Weil: Harbinger of a New Renaissance?" in I.2.
- Fischer, C.B., "Simone Weil and the Civilization of Work," in I.2.
- Grey, Christopher "Towards a Critique of Managerialism: The Contribution of Simone Weil"
The Journal of Management Studies, vol. 33, no. 5 (Sept., 1996) pp. 591-611.
- Grote, J., "Weil's Theory of Social Force,"
Spirituality Today, 42.3, autumn, 1990.
- Hirsch, E., "Simone Weil: The Year of Factory Work," (poem)
The New Yorker, Jan. 13, 1992.
- Ignatieff, M., "The Limits of Sainthood,"
The New Republic, June 18, 1990 pp.40-46.
- King, U., "Simone Weil: Waiting on God,"
Expository Times, 101:292-295, July, 1990.
- Little, J.P., "Simone Weil's Concept of Decreation," in I.2.
- Loades, A., "Simone Weil and Antigone: Innocence and Affliction," in I.2.
- Nielsen, F. (see Collins, R. & Nielsen, F.).
- Oxenhandler, N. "The Bodily Experience of Simone Weil,"
L'Esprit Créateur, XXXIV.3 (Fall, 1994) pp.82-89.
- Palmer, B. "Simone Weil and Secular Religions of Self-Affirmation,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XV.4, Dec. 1992.
- Phillips, D.Z., "God and Concept-Formation in Simone Weil," in I.2.
- Pirruccello, A., "Interpreting Simone Weil: Presence and Absence in Attention"
Philosophy East and West, vol. 45, no.1, Jan. 1995, pp.61-72.
- Pirruccello, A., "Overcoming Self: Simone Weil on Beauty," in
Divine Representation: Postmodernism and Spirituality, ed. A.W. Astell, New York: 1994, Paulist Press, pp.34-46.
- Pirruccello, A., "Time and the Body,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XVIII.1 mars, 1995.
- Pirruccello, A., "'Gravity' in the Thought of Simone Weil,"
Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 57.1.
- Poole, A., "War and Grace: The Force of Simone Weil on Homer,"
Arion, 3rd series, vol. II.1, Winter, 1992, 1-15.
- Purcell, D., "Iris Murdoch's The Green Knight and Simone Weil"
CSW 19.2 (juin, 1996) pp.225-238.
- Reitan, E., "Punishment and Community: The Reintegrative Theory of Punishment," in
Canadian Journal of Philosophy 26.1 (Mar.1996) pp.57-82.
- Reynolds, S. "Simone Weil and Women Workers in the 1930s:
Condition ouvrière and
Condition féminine" in
Women in French Society and Culture: Papers in Memory of Andrea Cady, ed. D. Berry & A. Hargreaves, Loughborough: European research Centre, 1993 (reprinted in CSW XIX.1 pp.97-113).
- Schmidt, L., "Simone Weil on Religion: A Voegelinian Critique,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XV.3, Sept. 1992.
- Schmidt, L. "George Grant on Simone Weil as Saint and Thinker" in
George Grant and the Subversion of Modernity: Art, Philosophy, Politics, Religion and Education, ed.A. Davis, Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1996 pp.263-281.
- Schmidt, L. & Maratto, S., "The Measure of Justice: The Language of Limit as Key to Simone Weil's Political Philosophy"
ARC: The Journal of the Faculty of Religious Studies, McGill University. Vol. 28 (2000) pp. 53-66.
- Sherry, P. " Simone Weil on Beauty," in I.2.
- Springsted, E. "Simone Weil," in
Great Thinkers of the Western World, ed. I. McGreal, San Francisco: HarperRow, 1992.
- Springsted, E., "Conditions of Dialogue: John Hick and Simone Weil,"
Journal of Religion, January, 1992.
- Springsted, E., "Of Tennis, Persons and Politics,"
Philosophical Investigations, July, 1993.
- Springsted, E. O., "Rootedness: Culture and Value," in I.1 and I.2.
- Springsted, E.O. "The Need for Order and the Need for Roots: To Being through History,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XVII.2 juin, 1994.
- Springsted, E.O., "Simone Weil," in
The Cambridge Dictionary of Philosophy, ed. R. Audi, Cambridge: 1995, Cambridge University Press.
- Steiner, G., "Bad Friday,"
The New Yorker, March 2, 1992, pp.86-91.
- Steiner, G., "The Self-Hatred of Simone Weil,"
The Times Literary Supplement, June 4, 1993 pp.3-4 (reprinted in No Passions Spent: Essays 1978-1995, New Haven: Yale University Press, 1996 pp.171-179).
- Terdiman, R., "The Obligation of the Past: Simone Weil's Memory,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XVI.4, Dec. 1993.
- Williams, R., "The Necesssary Non-Existence of God," in I.2.
- Wisdo, D. "Simone Weil on Scepticism, Objectivity and Epistemic Life,"
Cahiers Simone Weil, XIV.3, Sept. 1991.