The Estimated Program Fee is $3000.00.
The fee is only an estimate since this price includes roundtrip airfare, and we will not know the exact airfare rates until we make our final reservations.
The Program Fee Includes:
• Roundtrip airfare from St. Louis Lambert International Airport
• Student visa
• Housing in double-occupancy dorm rooms at Yeditepe University (single occupancy rooms available at additional cost)
• Hands-on activities (e.g., Turkish cooking class)
• Guest lectures
• Turkish culture and language classes
• Transportation to site visits in Istanbul
• Site visits and various excursions to sites of historical and cultural significance. Below are only some of the places we will visit (for a more comprehensive itinerary, see Activities and Itinerary):
o Bosphorus Cruise
o Aya Sophia (Haghia Sophia)
o Blue Mosque, Dolmabaçe Palace
o Fatih Mosque
o The Grand Bazaar
o Istanbul Archeological Museum
o Mevlevi Monastery and sema performance by Whirling Dervishes
o Museum of Calligraphy
o Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts
o Rustem Paşa Mosque
o Suleymaniyeh Mosque
o Topkapi Palace
o Vakiflar Carpet Museum
o Galata Tower
o Istanbul Modern Museum of Arts
o Dolmabahçe Palace
* Not included in the Program Fee are: SIUE Tuition (6 credit hours); Meals; local transportation (bus, ferry, and trolley); and personal spending money. An explanation of each of these is provided below.
Students will have to pay for 6 credit hours of course credit and applicable fees. Because of the differing rates depending upon the individual student's residency status, the date of first enrollment at SIUE, etc., please click the following link and find the appropriate category under Summer 2010. You must register for 6 total credit hours and fees do apply. You will be billed for this amount by the SIUE Bursar Office.
Some meals will be included during the trip. However, by and large students will be responsible for paying for their own meals. Fortunately, eating healthy delicious meals in Turkey is very inexpensive. The average meal is between $5 and $8 US dollars. For more on eating in Turkey, see Travel Information.
Students dine at a quiet outdoor restaurant near the Blue Mosque
To get from Yeditepe University to the inner city it will cost 3 YTL each way, or 6 YTL roundtrip (unless students purchase an Akbil). Students are recommended to budget $75.00 USD for local transportation.
December 15, 2009: $ 200.00 (with application)
January 15, 2010: $ 500.00 payment
February 15, 2010: $ 500.00 payment
April 1, 2010: $1,800.00 (remainder of total balance due)
* All payments should be made by check written to: 'Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.' Turn all payments in to Dr. Lucian Stone.
** Click the following link for a complete Checklist of Items To-Do for the Application process and in preparation for the travel study program.
At the Spice Bazaar