Be powerful. Make a difference. Get involved. Give back.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville has produced over 90,000 alumni in the past 55 years. The education we received, and the experiences we had here, helped lead us into successful lives and careers. The value of our degrees has increased as SIUE has grown in stature and reputation. Each of us can be extremely proud of our affiliation with what is becoming a "premier metropolitan university." We can also be a part of ensuring this level of quality continues for future generations of Cougars.
While the value of our degrees has increased, the percentage of state dollars for university programs and operations has not. In fact, we are rapidly moving from a state supported university to a state assisted university. Financially, there are a myriad of ways you can provide for the continuation of the quality education available through SIUE. Information on some of those ways is available through the SIUE Foundation website.
We also want you to know that providing dollars is not the only way you can give back to your alma mater. Help shape the lives of SIUE students and alumni by becoming a volunteer. Volunteers develop valuable contacts, gain new skills and meet a variety of people. Review the volunteer opportunities listed below. If you are interested in volunteering in an area not listed below, please call the Alumni Association at 618-650-2346.
Serve & Volunteer
- Arts & Issues - Support the continuation of the area's finest series of distinguished speakers and performers through a variety of activities including: be an event greeter, serve refreshments during intermission, help in the gift shop or lend a hand in special fundraising activities. Contact Grant Andree, Director of Arts & Issues, at 618-650-2626.
- Commencement - Volunteers are always needed to serve as ushers during the December, May and August commencement ceremonies. Shifts typically last three hours and include handing out programs, escorting attendees to empty seats and crowd control. E-mail your interest and availability to email@example.com.
- Board of Directors - Applications are currently being accepted for vacancies on the SIUE Alumni Association Board of Directors. Serving as a member of the board can provide an opportunity to give back to SIUE alumni, students, faculty and staff in a very meaningful way. Click here for more information and to download an application form.
- East St. Louis Center - The Center has worked diligently over the years to improve the quality of life for individuals and families by coordinating and mobilizing SIUE's resources to provide education opportunities. The Center welcomes people and businesses interested in donating time, expertise and/or resources to any of its programs. Click here for more information.
- The Gardens at SIUE - The Gardens at SIUE is a 35-acre public garden on the SIUE campus featured woodlands, ponds, grasslands and sculpture. Volunteers are needed in a variety of areas including horticulture, education, ambassadors and special events. Click here for more information.
- SIUeDAY - Volunteers are needed for the fall 2008 SIUeDAY planning committee. SIUeDAY is a University-wide fundraising initiative. The overall focus is to celebrate SIUE while gaining faculty/staff, retirees, and the local business community support annually. It is imperative for SIUE to secure its family gifts first to show the community that we believe in what we do here at the University. The goal for both the local business and campus community will be participation. SIUeDAY will be held on Thursday, October 9th, 2008. To be put on the committee list, please contact Julie Babington at 618.650.2378 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteer Services Opportunity Database - The Volunteer Services Opportunity Database lists detailed information including position descriptions about specific volunteer opportunities available in the greater St. Louis and Illinois Metro East area. Click here to visit the database. If you are not a current student or recent graduate of SIUE, we recommend following the guest registration instructions. Once you log in, click "Job Search" under the Jobs heading and select "volunteer" under Position Type.
Show Your Cougar Pride
- Athletics - Purchase season tickets and show your Cougar Pride by attending sporting events to cheer for your favorite sport. Sign your child up for the Cougar Kids Club and receive free admission to all athletic events.
- Become a Friend - Give back to the University and support cultural programs by becoming a Friend of Lovejoy Library, an Arts & Issues Friend, a Friend of the Gardens or a Friend of Theater and Dance.
- Give to SIUE - Your gift and support is needed to not only help SIUE remain a premier metropolitan university but to reach the next level as a nationally recognized university. Gifts given through the SIUE Foundation help provide students with additional opportunities whether the gift supports a scholarship, academic unit, the library, faculty research and retention, athletics or student activities. Click here to visit the SIUE Foundation web site and find out how you can help.
Share Your Story
- Alumni Ambassadors - Serve as a valuable resource to the Office of Admissions by helping promote SIUE and recruiting a diverse student body. Alumni Ambassadors can adopt a high school, present scholarship awards, call or e-mail local students, participate in Chat SIUE, represent SIUE at local college fairs and refer prospective students. Click here for more information.
- Class Notes - Have you recently gotten married or started a new career? Let us know of any changes in your life that you would like to share with fellow alums by submitting or updating a class note.
- Speaker Series/Guest Lecturer - The Alumni Association is currently working on career advancement and continuing education opportunities. We are in need of alumni volunteers to serve as presenters and guest lecturers through our speaker series as well as in the classroom. If you are interested in speaking about your career to current students or sharing career advice with fellow alumni, please send an e-mail to email@example.com. Please include your work history, contact information, proposed topic and availability in your e-mail.
- STAT Mentor Program- The Alumni Association has created a student alumni association, STAT - Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow. The purpose of the organization is to encourage current students to interact with alumni before graduation through social activities and mentor opportunities. Mentors are needed to provide career advice and participate in resume review session, mock interviews and job shadowing days. If you are interested in participating, please visit the STAT Alumni Mentor Program page.
- Student Internships - Encourage your company to offer an internship to a current SIUE student. You receive a valuable employee while the student receives practical, hands-on experience. Click here for more information from the Career Development Center.