The SIUE Experience is an orientation program spearheaded by the Office of Student Affairs for our Fall 2012 incoming freshmen. The goals of
The SIUE Experience are as follows:
- to create a sense of community and connection to SIUE;
- to introduce the SIUE values;
- to put citizenship into action and share in a service project; and
- to improve student success and retention.
The Office of Student Affairs is now in the midst of preparations to make this new initiative a reality. Recognizing the importance of partnering with faculty, our office is providing several opportunities for faculty to get involved in this undertaking.
Upper class students called
and faculty/staff volunteers will lead students through
The SIUE Experience. New students will explore the purpose and expectations of a college education…. learn about learning and thinking…understand what it means to be a member of the SIUE community. New and existing traditions such as Convocation, Cougar Kick Off, and a service project will bring the Class of 2016 and the campus community together in exciting ways.
An initiative of this magnitude -- to create lasting connections and impact retention -- will only be successful with involvement from the entire campus. Here are several ways you can contribute to
The SIUE Experience:
- Assist in welcoming new residential students during residence hall check-in on Thursday, August 16 (various times available in Evergreen Hall)
- Friday, August 17, 2:00pm - 4:00pm: serve as resource person for Cougar Guide student leaders (various academic buildings)
- Friday, August 17, 5:00pm - 7:00pm: assist with Cougar Kick-Off at Korte Stadium (distributing wristbands, handing out water, staffing a cooling tent, checking wristbands for dinner, etc.)
- Friday, August 17, 8:00pm - 10:00pm: assist with shuttle bus loading back to Hairpin/residence halls (Korte Stadium)
- Saturday, August 18, 8:30am - 9:30am: assist with seating and bus loading at service project kick off (Vadalabene Center)
- Saturday, August 18, 9:15am - 1:00pm: role model our SIUE Value of Citizenship and volunteer to help with the Class of 2016 service project! (various locations; bus transportation and complimentary childcare provided...you can also just meet us at a location)
- Saturday, August 18, 12:45pm - 1:45pm: assist with box lunch distribution (Quad)
- Saturday, August 18, 1:30pm - 3:30pm: serve as resource person for Cougar Guide student leaders (various academic buildings)
Other assistance needed:
- Have extra magazines lying around? Donate them for an activity...please make sure they are appropriate for use in a classroom setting (bring to 2306 Rendleman Hall)
- Help assemble materials for Cougar Guides when you have a free hour (anytime on August 15 or 16 to fit your schedule in 2306 Rendleman Hall)
Please contact Kara Shustrin at email@example.com or (618) 650-2023 to help us welcome the Class of 2016 and make The SIUE Experience a success!