Why a Master of Integrative Studies?
The fast pace of change in our society is creating new career opportunities for individuals trained in multiple disciplines. The master of integrative studies allows students to access expertise from two or three areas and integrate courses into a degree that meets the needs of an emerging career field.
Consider a master of integrative studies if:
- you have diverse interests that span two or three academic disciplines and you want to blend these interests into one cohesive program
- you have a career interest in an emerging field that crosses academic disciplines, such as diversity training or sustainability
- you want to advance in a non-traditional sector or start your own business
Design Your Own Degree
If none of the existing programs meet your interests and needs, you can work with two or more faculty mentors to design an academic plan with at least two focus areas. Your focus areas will be included on your transcript to provide information about the academic fields you specialized in during the master’s program. A carefully designed plan of study will provide you with a unique combination of skills and knowledge that will be advantageous in today’s ever-evolving job market.
Master of Integrative Studies at SIUE
The integrative studies master’s program allows you to earn a graduate degree that meets your specific career goals by integrating courses from two or three disciplines.
No similar interdisciplinary programs are offered in the St. Louis metropolitan region. The closest comparable program is more than 75 miles from SIUE.
The following interdisciplinary studies specialty areas have already been approved and a plan of study developed:
- Applied Environmental and Communication Studies (MS)
- Cultural Education Advocacy (MA)
- Cultural Heritage and Resources Management (MA,MS)
- Diversity Issues and Global Affairs (MS)
- Diversity Training (MA)
- Engineering Management (MS)
- Information Systems and Graphic Design (MS)
- Media Management (MS)
- Organizational Design Thinking (MS)
- Sustainability (MA,MS)
Integrative studies certificate programs provide professional advancement in multiple fields.
- Marketing and Public Relations
- Transportation Engineering and Construction Management
A master of integrative studies can lead to a multitude of career paths as well as entry into doctoral programs. The degree will meet the needs of students seeking knowledge for advancement in a specific industry, looking to move to an emerging field that is multidisciplinary or starting their own business. Employment outlook and salary information for these careers vary widely. A carefully designed plan of study will provide students with a unique combination of skills and knowledge that will be advantageous in the job market.