Chemistry Club Meeting #2
The meeting began at . All officers were present.
- ACS Affiliate forms were handed out to members in attendance. All members of the Chemistry Club were encouraged to join the ACS as a student affiliate. If the Chemistry Club has six of its members as ACS affiliates, then SIUE’s Chem Club will be recognized as an ACS affiliated chemistry club, and can enjoy the benefits associated with being affiliated.
- Tours need to be coordinated. A sign up sheet was passed around so that interested volunteers could help the Chemistry Club arrange tours, along with other events.
- The Probst lecture, which takes place in the spring and includes a speaker, grad student presentations and poster session, and a dinner, was mentioned. Darcy and Bonnie were working with Dr. DeMeo to coordinate the event.
- The book bake sale was set for October 10-12, and sheets to sign up to man the tables will be available at the next meeting.
The ACS has a conference every year, and a volunteer
from Chemistry Club is needed to go to the meeting and present the poster.
An exhibit on display at
- The Mentors program, partially sponsored by the Chemistry Club was mentioned. The next meeting will be with graduate students, students who obtained their undergrad degree here at SIUE, and who are now in grad school. They will be available to answer any questions students might have about grad school, and the format will be informal. Other presentations will be coming up, including from Sigma Aldrich, and club members were encouraged to attend.
- The chemistry club is still in the process of trying to obtain a door lock for the chemistry club room. The new lock would be a number key lock. Active club members would know the combination, and would be welcome to study in the chemistry club room.
- There was a meeting for those who initially were interested in putting on demo shows the week before the meeting. Possible formats of shows were discussed, as well as possible audiences. No demos are planned, other than making ice cream for the Tri City Youth group. If anyone knows a school, or other audience, which would be interested in hosting a demo show, let one of the officers know.
The Tri-City Youth group has asked the Chemistry Club
to come and make liquid nitrogen ice cream for them on September 30. Volunteers
would need to meet at to go to
the program in
Silkscreening is tentatively
The Trivia Night, which includes all the science clubs,
will be held on