Chemistry Club Meeting: 10/19/06
The fourth 2006-2007 SIUE Chemistry Club Meeting was held
Thursday, October 19, 2006, at 2:00 p. m. in the chemistry club room (SL
1107). Mariellen Sydow, Crystal Hise, and Lindsey Hamilton were the officers
Old business began with an update of our recent activities.
- Trivia night at Dr. Lindell’s house on Sunday, October 15,
2006, was successful. It was well-attended by both the physics and
chemistry clubs, and chemistry club won by ten points.
- The book/bake sale was another successful event held from
October 16-18, 2006. Thank you to everyone who helped run the table and
bring in baked goods. We profited $376.47.
- Dr. Eilers may be donating a computer to the chemistry
club. Dr. Dixon or Dr. Eilers still need to be contacted regarding the
software available for the computer.
- Following last meeting’s request to post the dry erase
board on the back wall, Nathan Motl determined we need to contact
Facilities Management to put in a work order.
- John Kramer coordinated a tour to the Corn-to-Ethanol
Plant at SIUE on Friday, November 10, 2006.
- Abby will be coordinating the Anheuser-Busch tour to be
held next spring.
- National Chemistry Day will be held Saturday, October 21,
2006, at the St. Louis Science Center. Chemistry club volunteers include
Lydia Bach, Nicole Arnold, and Tierny Bierkamp. Any questions should be
directed to Dr. Wiediger. Please mark CC next to your name on the sign-up
sheet if you are a chemistry club member.
New business began with an induction of the new members to
chemistry club. There were 22 people who achieved active status. These people
were given the access code to the chemistry club room as well as a goody bag.
- Chemistry club voted on a t-shirt design for Friday,
November 17, 2006, when we will be making silk-screen t-shirts. Possible
-Daniel’s star with TNT
-Expose Yourself to Chemistry
-If you’re not part of the
solution, you’re part of the precipitate.
-Chemists do it in the lab.
“Chemists do it in the lab”
received the most votes at the meeting. A poll will be taken on Yahoo! Groups.
- A Halloween party will be held at Dr. Shaw’s on Friday,
October 27, 2006, at 5:00 p.m. Dr. Shaw will be frying turkey. Costumes
are encouraged as we may have a costume contest.
- We will be holding a clothing drive on November 13-15,
2006. We will need volunteers to sit at a table and collect the donated
- Chemistry club is participating in the Tri-City Youth
program through SLDP. We are attending Holy Rosary School in Fairmont City, IL about four times this semester to do demonstrations. Holy Rosary’s after
school program has about forty children ranging from K-8. Upcoming
demonstrations will be held October 20 and 27, 2006, from 3:00 – 5:30
p.m. Contact Lindsey Hamilton (email@example.com) or Crystal Hise
(firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
- Student volunteers are needed to create an ACS poster for
the upcoming spring convention. The abstract will be due soon. Jennifer
Redding, Lindsey Hamilton, Dan Cranford, Dawn Powell, and Rosie Harnack
volunteered. The spring 2007 convention will be held in Chicago from
March 25-29, 2007. Students may visit www.chemistry.org
for more information. The abstract is due by November 14, 2006.
The chemistry club meeting was concluded at 2:25 p.m. Our
next meeting will be held on Friday, November 3, 2006, at 2:00 p.m.