SIUE Chemistry Club
August 31, 2007
Mariellen Sydow, President
Dylan Downs, Vice President
Megan Muehlenfeld, Secretary
Crystal Hise, Treasurer
Daniel Banks, Webmaster
- We take tours. We have done Anheuser-Busch, Corn to Ethanol, and Monsanto. If anyone has any other ideas
for tours, bring them up in the next meeting.
- We do a fall and spring book/bake sale. The time and date will be discussed in the next meeting.
- The Chemistry Club hosts a trivia night, in which we play board games, scene it, etc. against other clubs.
- We also host a Halloween party and Christmas party at a professor’s house.
- We make chemistry club T-shirts. We come up with a design and screen it onto your own t-shirts. You may also
buy one for $5. Be thinking of designs for this semester.
- The Chemistry Club also has a clothing drive and a canned food drive, which we donate to various charities.
- In the spring, we host a pentathlon, in which various clubs compete in 5 different sports.
- The Chemistry Club also hosts the Probst lecture. It is in the spring and will take place over two days. It is a
good way to see how student government funding works. We start planning for this activity early in the fall.
- Last year we started CVS – Cougars Volunteering for Science. This consists of group of three people who go to
a classroom four times a semester (about once every three weeks) and present science demonstrations. To do this,
you must attend one training session. If you are interested in this program and did not sign up for it, or if you have
any questions, email Dylan (firstname.lastname@example.org).
What The Chemistry Club Does:
The Chemistry Club has a Yahoo! Group. The meetings, events and any help that is needed is posted there.
You should receive an invitation for that if you are not already a member. We also have a website through
The Chemistry Club room (SL 1107) is locked at all times. Official members get the privilege of having the
code to the door. In order to be considered an official member, you must attend one meeting AND two
events OR three events each semester.
In the next meeting, we will be signing up for the book/bake sale, etc. We will meet twice a month, every other
week. As of now, our meetings will be on Thursdays at 1:00 pm. The next one will be September 13, 2007. If
Thursdays are a problem for anyone, Fridays at 2:00 pm is also an option; just let Mariellen know.
The meeting was adjourned at 1:26 pm.