Why Join SHRM?
A SIUE SHRM membership is separate from a National SHRM membership and requires a separate application. Thus, you can belong to:
- SIUE SHRM only
- National SHRM only
- Both SIUE SHRM and National SHRM
- Neither SIUE SHRM nor National SHRM
Both applications are available on the "Become a member" page. Currently, membership in SIUE SHRM does not have a membership fee, while National SHRM has a $35 membership fee. Please see the section below for why the National SHRM membership is worth a lot more than $35.
To become a member of SIUE SHRM, please fill out the application form available on the "Become a member" page or pick up an application form from our bulletin board located on the 3rd floor of Founders Hall outside of room 3115. Applications are inside the Information Folders or separately behind the Information Folders. Applications can be mailed to the following address:
Attn: Membership Chair
Campus Box 1100
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Edwardsville, IL 62026-1100
Upon receipt of your application, we will inform you of your membership status.
Benefits of Becoming a SIUE SHRM Member:
SIUE SHRM members are invited to attend multiple events throughout the semester, including speaker events during which HR professionals inform us about important topics and trends in HR, social events during which we get to know one another, and HRMA dinners through which our members meet and interact with local HR professionals.
We are also able to assist our members in obtaining internships and permanent positions through our contacts in the local area. Our executive board members receive multiple phone calls and emails per semester inquiring as to whether SIUE SHRM members are looking for internships or full time positions. Two members during the Spring 2006 semester were invited to interview with a local employer. No doubt, this benefit to SIUE SHRM members will be enhanced as our membership continues to increase.
A new benefit for our members, created in Spring of 2006 is the Resume Review Service through HRMA. HRMA members volunteer to review the resumes of SIUE SHRM members and offer enhancement and improvement suggestions. Who better to take advice from than people currently in hiring positions?
Benefits of Joining National SHRM as a Student
- Cost: $35
- HR Magazine Subscription
- Full access to the SHRM website, www.shrm.org
- Access to Member Directory Online
- Bibliographies only from Info Center
- Echoes Student Newsletter
- Special $80 rate for 1st year of professional membership
- Invitation to the SHRM Annual Conference & Exposition held in June
Criterion for Membership:
- Enrollment in at least six (6) credit hours per term in a degree-seeking program.
- Taken or planned coursework supports an interest in Human Resource Management.
- Student Membership cannot exceed 3 years.
How to Apply:
- Fill out an application and return it to the envelope marked “Completed SHRM Applications” outside Mary Sue Love’s office (FH 2137) in the Management and Marketing Office on the second floor of Founders Hall.
- Fill out an application online at http://www.shrm.org/students/bufferpage.asp
- You must send SHRM a copy of your current course schedule within 10 days of applying online.
- Fax to: 703-535-6490
- Mail to:
Society for Human Resources Management
P.O. Box 79482
Baltimore, MD 21279-0482
- Questions during the application process should be directed to SHRM Student Programs:
- 1-800-283- SHRM (7476)
Benefits of Joining National SHRM as a Professional
If you plan to use the membership to assist you in your work as an HR practitioner, SHRM recommends that you join as a regular (not student) member to gain full access to all services and benefits.
- Cost: $160
- HR Magazine Subscription
- Full access to the SHRM website
- Access and listing in Member Directory Online**
- Full access to the Information Center**
- HR Legal Report**
- Mosiacs diversity newsletter**
- Workplace Visions HR issues newsletter**
** Indicates benefits not included with student membership.