The Writing Program @ SIUE
Rhetoric & Writing: Minor & 200-400 Level Courses
Teaching of Writing MA
If you have questions, need advising, or would like to schedule an advising appointment, please contact:
Dr. Brian Henderson.
Please also read the Masters Degree or Post-Baccalaureate Certificate requirements pages and see the submission/information forms posted on the forms page to see if your questions might be answered there.
What follows is a brief outline of procedures; for more detailed information, see the degree requirements page and the "MA Program Procedures" information (below, where you will find detailed information about ENG 596: Exit Exam in Teaching of Writing).
- First to second-to-last semesters: Enroll in classes and complete your coursework.
- Last semester: Enroll in English 596. Make sure you have applied to graduate.
- Select an MA Committee comprised of three graduate faculty members in the specialization.
- Determine the three areas of interest and submit questions/problem statements to the committee for approval or revision. Have committee members sign the Exit Exam Committee form (see the the forms page), which is due no later than the end of the second week of the semester.
- After your Exit Exam Committee form is approved, determine deadlines for essays with your committee chair. Drafts are due no later than four weeks before the end of the semester.
- Give each committee member a copy of the essay by each deadline (determined by you and your committee chair, keeping in mind the above schedule). The committee will accept or require revision of one, some, or all of the essays. Plan ahead!
- Final versions of the exam papers are due to the committee no later than two weeks before the end of the semester. The committee then assesses the MA candidate's work (which must be of a high quality to receive the MA in the Teaching of Writing).