The Writing Program @ SIUE
Rhetoric & Writing
Teaching of Writing MA
ENG 102 English Composition II (3 cr)
Builds upon the analytical and writing skills developed in 101
with emphasis on argumentation and critical synthesis of
information based on research. Prerequisite: a grade of C or
higher in 101.
102n English Composition: Non-Native Speakers (3 cr)
Instruction and practice in expository writing, including
the essay and research paper. NOTE: Admission only by permit
from foreign student advisor or instructor. Prerequisite: A grade
of C or better in 101.
Standard Syllabus Description
ENG 102 builds upon the analytical and writing skills developed in 101, emphasizing argumentation and critical synthesis of academic research. Throughout the course, it is hoped that you will:
- gain an understanding of elements of formal argumentation.
- write using principles of formal argumentation and learn to apply these principles in various academic disciplines.
- locate, read, analyze, and synthesize sources in order to write papers incorporating source material.
- develop an awareness of various citation formats and be able to use at least one of them correctly.
- learn about and engage in ethical academic research.