COMMUNITY - News and Events
Dr. Sinan Onal's NSF grant to build Cutting-Edge Motion Capture and Analysis System has been covered in SIUE News - November 9, 2017, 2:00 PM.
"Motion capture and analysis systems record the movement of objects or people, which can be analyzed or modified using computer software," said lead principal investigator Sinan Onal, PhD, assistant professor in the SIUE School of Engineering (SOE) Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. "It has found applications in the military, healthcare, sports, visual arts, video gaming, filmmaking and robotics industries. Specifically, it has improved the quality of healthcare in numerous ways."
- Dr. Robert Mock (BS IE '90), the President of Johnson and Wales University-Charlotte, has been inducted to SIUE Alumni Hall of Fame during "A Night Among the Stars" ceremony on Friday, October 6, 2017. "SIUE shaped me and gave me the opportunity to plan manufacturing facilities," said Mock, who acknowledged the hurricane victims, Las Vegas shooting victims and protestors in St. Louis before closing his remarks by reciting from the poem "Invictus."
- IE Graduate Students, Priyank Shah and Jijo Varghese, received Distinguished Paper Award from best paper competition in 2017 Engineering Lean & Six Sigma Conference, Orlando, FL (Advisor: Dr. Eneyo)
- Priyank Shah, Value Engineering and Lean Six Sigma - Integrated Approaches for Process Improvement
- Jijo Varghese, Quality Value Stream Mapping: An Innovative Approach to Quality Assurance
- IE enrollment in fall 2017 is 143 of both undergraduate and graduate students. It is the highest enrollment in IE history.
- Five IE graduate students present their research works in international conferences in fall 2017.
- 2017 IISE Engineering Lean & Six Sigma Conference: Priyank Shah (Advisor: Dr. Eneyo), Jijo Varghese (Advisor: Dr. Eneyo)
- 2017 BMES Annual Meeting: Narayana Kurapati (Advisor: Dr. Lee), Naga S. Maddali (Advisor: Dr. Lee), Cem Yaba (Advisor: Dr. Onal)
- Dr. Xin Chen serves 2018 IISE Annual Conference & Expo as Computer & Information Systems Track Chair (Other co-chair: Dr. Changqing Cheng at SUNY-Binghamton).
- IE sophomore, Kyler Lockhart has been selected as a SIUE-Schnucks intern via newly established SIUE ENGTEC Intern Program. Dr. Xin Chen with his expertise in scheduling and optimization will mentor Kyler for improving operations in bakery department. SIUE ENGTEC Intern Program helps students have solid academic knowledge, practical experience, and be ready to be productive in the Sponsoring Company if hired.
- SIUE IE Program holds 55 ranking position nationally in the top 100 most popular schools for Industrial Engineering Major and Degree Program. http://www.stateuniversity.com/program/14-3501/Industrial-Engineering
- IE graduate student, Moncy George Chacko is the recipient of John Grant Helm Memorial Scholarship for the Spring Semester 2018. This scholarship ($500), sponsored by St. Louis CSCMP (Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals), recognizes outstanding students with their school performance, leadership and involvement in campus organizations and supply chain curriculum, career path, and internships.
- IE graduate students (Cem Yaba, Parisa Jannatifard) presented their MS thesis research on IE Research Presentation Day Event - February 23, 2017.
- IE students participated The Art of Leadership Certificate Program sponsored by Pinnacle Foods Group in January 4-6, 2017. The Leadership Program was designed to help the students Understand, Develop and Sustain Leadership. During this program we have shown the students how to use Basic Principles in Developing Strategy, how to achieve Organizational Alignment, Training and Development. We have shown through many activities how Leadership and its Role in Change Management can impact an organizational performance. Within some of these activities the students have also learned Performance Management Techniques to Develop and Sustain an Ongoing Organization.
For more story, click here: http://www.siue.edu/news/2017/11/NSF-Funds-SIUE-Acquisition-of-Cutting-Edge-Motion-Capture-and-Analysis-System.shtml".
Graduate Student Research
- Keith Jackson (Spring 2017), Development of Lean and Six Sigma, M.S. Research Project, Academic Advisor: Dr. Xin Chen
- Samantha Muir (Spring 2017), Service Counter Labor Optimization Tool, M.S. Research Project, Academic Advisor: Dr. Emmanuel Eneyo
- Rose Schneider (Spring 2017), Predicting Annual Flying Hours under Conditions of Uncertainty, M.S. Thesis, Academic Advisor: Dr. Xin Chen
- Serhat Yelkenci (Spring 2017), Algorithmic Music Composition Using Linear Algebra, M.S. Thesis, Academic Advisor: Dr. Xin Chen
- Saeid Bahremand (Fall 2016), Blood Glucose Management in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Rats by Artificial Neural Network Based Model Predictive Control, M.S. Thesis, Academic Advisor: Dr. Hoo Sang Ko
- Sumanth Bhavisetty (Fall 2016), DC Servo Motor Actuation by EMG Muscle Sensor and Arduino Board at the Elbow Joint, M.S. Research Project, Academic Advisor: Dr. Sohyung Cho
- Tsung-Yueh Lee (Fall 2016), Performance Comparison between Support Vector Machine & Random Forest in Telecommunication Churn Prediction, M.S. Research Project, Academic Advisor: Dr. Xin Chen
Awards & Honors
- Dr. Onal has been selected as 2016 Outstanding Teacher of IE.
- Dr. Chen was nominated for 2016 SOE Outstanding Research Award.
- Mr. Jesse Stevenson was nominated for 2016 SOE Outstanding Adjunct Award.
- 2016 Outstanding Student Awardees:
- Outstanding Graduate Student: Serhat Yelkenci
- Outstanding Senior Student: Sule Gonul
- Outstanding Junior Student: Jeremy Jones
- Mr. Dan Crain has been selected as 2016 Outstanding IE Alumnus Award.
- As a manufacturing professional, Mr. Crain applies the Industrial Engineering tools and methodologies on a daily basis. His decision to attend SIUE has changed his life in ways he never imagined possible. After two years a Director of Site Operations for Pinnacle Foods he has recently accepted a position with Henkel Corporation. He will be transitioning to the Bowling Green Kentucky plant in the next few weeks. In his position is Director of Operations, he will be responsible for one of Henkel's largest manufacturing operations with over 700 manufacturing employees.
December 16, 2017 Fall 2017 Commencement
November 11, 2017 School of Engineering Open House
November 10, 2017 SIUE Preview - II
October 9, 2017 SIUE Preview - I
September 29, 2017 2nd IE & ME Joint Fall Picnic
September 1, 2017 New Graudate Student Orientation - 11 am, EB 2160
August 21, 2017 Fall 2017 Semester Begins - Welcome Everyone!
May 6, 2017 2017 ITU Graduation Dinner - 7-9 pm, University Restaurant
May 6, 2017 Spring 2017 Commencement - 5 pm, Vadalabene Center
April 26 & 28, 2017 IE Senior Design Project Presentation - EB 1027
April 2, 2017 SOE 2017 Honors Day - Meridian Ballroom in Morris University Center
March 31, 2017 Job Search Workshop for IE Undergraduate Students hosted by IE Graduate Student Council
March 3, 2017 First Free MATLAB Programming Session for IE Students - 5 Sessions in Spring 2017
February 23, 2017 School of Engineering Award Banquet & IE IPAC Meeting
Janurary 4-6, 2017 The Art of Leadership Certificate Program, Sponsored by Pinnacle Foods
December 17, 2016 Fall Commencement
November 12, 2016 SOE IE Open House
October 14, 2016 IE Ph.D. Student, Ali Panahi, Dissertation Defense
October 7, 2016 1st IE & ME Joint Fall Picnic