COMMUNITY - News and Events
- Three IE senior design teams competed during 2019 School of Engineering Admit Day Event.
- Automated Solution Suspension Machine team has designed an automated machine to overcome the problems encountered with handmade pharmaceutical solution and suspension making (Ali Caglayan, Altug Sonmez, Batuhan Hazar Aydogan, Berkay Canogullari, Sena Boncuk, Hakan Bugra Kaynar).
- Robo-Checkers team has designed an automated checker board which will allow users to play the game with people around the world on an electronic device. Additionally, individuals without fine motor skills will be able to play hands-free with others (Zachary Haake, Jonathan Lengermann, Taylor Pyzynski, Elise Rainey, Matthew Schlecht, Dunamis Obomighie).
- Anti-Theft Shelf team has designed a theft protection device to stop people from taking more than one personal care product at a time in an effort to reduce theft (Batuhan Yilmaz, Abdullah Alqahtani, Nisa Kurumahmut, Taylor Cheatham, Kyler Lockhart, Sarah Almutairi).
- Dr. Onal presented his addresses on 2019 SOE Honors Day. Onal shared his inspiring story of perseverance and determination. He described to attendees his path from taking English as a Second Language courses in 2007 to attaining a doctorate, and now multiple grants and awards for his work as a teacher-scholar.
- Ms. Monica Sommer, Performance Improvement Consultant at Barnes Jewish Hospital, gave IE students an insightful talk on the link between Industrial Engineering and Healthcare operations in the first ASQ meeting of Spring 2019 semester. Also, four officers were elected during the meeting for ASQ SIUE Branch (Faculty Advisor: Dr. Eneyo), which has been officially chartered.
- Dr. Onal has been selected to receive the 2018 IISE (Institute of Industrial and Systems Engineers) Regional Level Faculty Advisor. This honor will be officially announced before the keynote on May 21 during 2019 IISE Conference in Orlando, Florida.
- Recently, SIUE IISE Student Chapter (Advisor: Dr. Onal) organized a plant tour to Caterpillar in Peoria, IL. Students were able to connect knowledge they learned from class rooms to real-life applications.
- IE Outstanding Alumnus Award Recipient, Mr. Corey Peach at Walmart presented his projects during IE Career Planning Session on February 19, 2019. Mr. Peach graduated from SIUE IE Program in 2009 and currently Senior Manager of Reverse Supply Chain Operations at Walmart in Arkansas.
- Two IE graduate students, Goksu Avdan and Oluwakemi Akande presented their MS thesis research during annual IE Research Day Event on February 19, 2019.
- Goksu Avdan, Coronary Artery Modeling and Analyses (Advisor: Dr. Lee)
- Oluwakemi Akande, An Integrated Approach to Production Planning and Control Systems in Small Scale Industry (Advisor: Dr. Eneyo)
- The story for Dr. Onal's Motion Capture and Analysis Lab (MOCAL) has now been introduced in FOX2 News at: https://fox2now.com/2018/11/08/siue-receives-research-grant-for-motion-capture-laboratory/.
- Current President of ASQ (American Society for Quality) in St. Louis Section - Dr. Mark Lynch and Deputy Regional Director - Ms. Sandra Mohr provided an information session on ASQ SIUE Branch/Capter for IE students on Friday, November 30. Many IE students attended and signed up for a membership.
- IE graduate student, Shaida Kargarnovin won 2019 Research Grants for Graduate Students (RGGS) with $500. Congratulations to Shaida and her advisor (Dr. Onal). Shaida Kargarnovin's thesis proposal, entitled "Selected Tasks Of Cleaning Occupation Comparison With And Without Participatory Ergonomic Approach," aims to measure repetitive motions of cleaning worker tasks and implement ergonomic solutions.
- IE graduate student, Andrew Parcels (BS IE) has been selected to one of the inaugural IISE Student Leadership Boards. He has been selected as the Secretary and Director of Conferences and Awards in the Work Systems Division. This is a great opportunity to improve visibility of SIUE IE Program to the entire IE community.
- Dr. Sinan Onal has been elected as the director of IISE DAIS (data analytics & information systems) Division for 2018-2020. This is a great opportunity to improve visibility of SIUE IE Program to the entire IE community.
- Three IE graduate students, Andrew Parcel, Guney Uzun and Shaida Kargarnovin presented their research work in 2018 IISE Conference, Orlando FL, May 19-22, 2018.
- IE graduate student, Goksu Avdan won 2018 Research Grants for Graduate Students (RGGS) with $500. Congratulations to Goksu and his advisor (Dr. Lee).
- Dr. Cho, together with Drs. Neumeister and Gupta at SIU School of Medicine, won "Innovator of the Year" award in Medical Device Category during the inaugural 2018 Illinois Capital Innovation Competition. The team invented a syringe system for fluid separation during surgery that helps reduce the time a patient is under anesthesia, as well as the time the surgeons and anesthesiologist are in the operating room. The University of Illinois Springfield, Innovate Springfield and the Southern Illinois University School of Medicine honored eleven central Illinois individuals and organizations with "Innovator of the Year" awards during the inaugural Illinois Capital Innovation Competition on April 6, 2018, at the UIS Student Union.
- IE Senior and President of Manufacturing Engineers Student Club in IE, Tyler Marquess has been selected as a recipient for Outstanding Student Organization Officer of the Year. We are so proud of his accomplishments and all he does. Tyler will be recognized during the Kimmel Leadership Awards Ceremony on Monday, April 23, 2018 at 4:30 p.m. in the Morris University Center, Meridian Ballroom.
- Dr. Onal's paper, titled "Green Roof Energy Savings Analysis for Pilot Regions in Florida using Image Processing Technique" has been selected as the Best Paper Award of Energy Systems Division of IISE 2018 Conference. The award will be formally announced on May 20, 2018 during IISE conference.
- Dr. Eneyo provided the Lean Supermarket Training Workshop for Schnucks during this spring break. There were 23 attendees from 7 different Schnuck stores.
- IE IPAC members and students had Career Planning Q&A Session on February 22, 2018.
- Two IE graduate students, Deniz Sahin and Saygin Sop presented their MS thesis research during annual IE Research Day Event on February 22, 2018.
- Deniz Sahin, Time-Optimal Scheduling for High Throughput Screening Systems (Advisor: Dr. Chen)
- Saygin Sop, MRI-Based Three-Dimensional Modeling and Assessment of Cardiac Adipose Tissue (Advisor: Dr. Klingensmith, Dr. Lee)
- IE junior, Brittany Booten has been selected as a SIUE-Schnucks intern via the SIUE ENGTEC Internship Program. She will investigate the current labor standards by taking work measurements in various departments at Schnucks and develop a tool to perform optimal scheduling by taking into account all attributes and constraints of a department. Dr. Ko will mentor Brittany with his expertise in data analytics and optimization. Through the ENGTEC Internship Program, SIUE will receive $16,560 from Schnucks for this project that begins on January 8, 2018 and ends on August 31, 2018.
Dr. Sinan Onal's NSF grant to build Cutting-Edge Motion Capture and Analysis System has been covered in SIUE News - November 9, 2017, 2:00 PM.
"Motion capture and analysis systems record the movement of objects or people, which can be analyzed or modified using computer software," said lead principal investigator Sinan Onal, PhD, assistant professor in the SIUE School of Engineering (SOE) Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering. "It has found applications in the military, healthcare, sports, visual arts, video gaming, filmmaking and robotics industries. Specifically, it has improved the quality of healthcare in numerous ways."
- Dr. Robert Mock (BS IE '90), the President of Johnson and Wales University-Charlotte, has been inducted to SIUE Alumni Hall of Fame during "A Night Among the Stars" ceremony on Friday, October 6, 2017. "SIUE shaped me and gave me the opportunity to plan manufacturing facilities," said Mock, who acknowledged the hurricane victims, Las Vegas shooting victims and protestors in St. Louis before closing his remarks by reciting from the poem "Invictus."
- IE Graduate Students, Priyank Shah and Jijo Varghese, received Distinguished Paper Award from best paper competition in 2017 Engineering Lean & Six Sigma Conference, Orlando, FL (Advisor: Dr. Eneyo)
- Priyank Shah, Value Engineering and Lean Six Sigma - Integrated Approaches for Process Improvement
- Jijo Varghese, Quality Value Stream Mapping: An Innovative Approach to Quality Assurance
- IE enrollment in fall 2017 is 143 of both undergraduate and graduate students. It is the highest enrollment in IE history.
- Five IE graduate students present their research works in international conferences in fall 2017.
- 2017 IISE Engineering Lean & Six Sigma Conference: Priyank Shah (Advisor: Dr. Eneyo), Jijo Varghese (Advisor: Dr. Eneyo)
- 2017 BMES Annual Meeting: Narayana Kurapati (Advisor: Dr. Lee), Naga S. Maddali (Advisor: Dr. Lee), Cem Yaba (Advisor: Dr. Onal)
- Dr. Xin Chen serves 2018 IISE Annual Conference & Expo as Computer & Information Systems Track Chair (Other co-chair: Dr. Changqing Cheng at SUNY-Binghamton).
- IE sophomore, Kyler Lockhart has been selected as a SIUE-Schnucks intern via newly established SIUE ENGTEC Intern Program. Dr. Xin Chen with his expertise in scheduling and optimization will mentor Kyler for improving operations in bakery department. SIUE ENGTEC Intern Program helps students have solid academic knowledge, practical experience, and be ready to be productive in the Sponsoring Company if hired.
- SIUE IE Program holds 55 ranking position nationally in the top 100 most popular schools for Industrial Engineering Major and Degree Program. http://www.stateuniversity.com/program/14-3501/Industrial-Engineering
- IE graduate student, Moncy George Chacko is the recipient of John Grant Helm Memorial Scholarship for the Spring Semester 2018. This scholarship ($500), sponsored by St. Louis CSCMP (Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals), recognizes outstanding students with their school performance, leadership and involvement in campus organizations and supply chain curriculum, career path, and internships.
- IE graduate students (Cem Yaba, Parisa Jannatifard) presented their MS thesis research on IE Research Presentation Day Event - February 23, 2017.
- IE students participated The Art of Leadership Certificate Program sponsored by Pinnacle Foods Group in January 4-6, 2017. The Leadership Program was designed to help the students Understand, Develop and Sustain Leadership. During this program we have shown the students how to use Basic Principles in Developing Strategy, how to achieve Organizational Alignment, Training and Development. We have shown through many activities how Leadership and its Role in Change Management can impact an organizational performance. Within some of these activities the students have also learned Performance Management Techniques to Develop and Sustain an Ongoing Organization.
For more story, click here: https://www.innovatespringfield.org/single-post/2018/04/08/UIS-iSPI-SIU-Illinois-Capital-Innovation-Awards
For more story, click here: http://www.siue.edu/news/2017/11/NSF-Funds-SIUE-Acquisition-of-Cutting-Edge-Motion-Capture-and-Analysis-System.shtml
Awards & Honors
- Dr. Lee has been selected as 2018 Outstanding Teacher of IE.
- Dr. Chen has been nominated for 2018 SOE Outstanding Service Award.
- Dr. Onal has been nominated for 2018 SOE Outstanding Research Award.
- 2018 Outstanding Student Awardees:
- Outstanding Graduate Student: Oluwakemi Akande
- Outstanding Senior Student: Elise Rainey
- Outstanding Junior Student: Tianna Sherman
- Mr. Corey Peach (Class 2009) has been selected for 2018 Outstanding IE Alumnus Award.
May 11, 2019 Spring 2019 Commencement, ITU Graduation Dinner
April 24 & 26, 2019 IE Senior Design Project Presentation, EB 1027
April 12, 2019 Senior Design Competition on School of Engineering Admit Day
April 7, 2019 2019 School of Engineering Honors Day
March 7, 2019 SIUE Career Fair - School of Engineering
February 19, 2019 School of Engineering Award Banquet & IE IPAC Meeting
January 14, 2019 Spring 2019 Semester Begins - Welcome Back Everyone!
November 30, 2018 ASQ Branch Meeting for IE Students - 3 pm, EB 1027
November 10, 2018 School of Engineering Open House - 9 am, EB 1023
October 19, 2018 IE/ME Fall Picnic - 12 pm, Rec Plex Pavillion
October 4, 2018 SIUE Career Fair - School of Engineering
September 4, 2018 Welcome Reception for Engineering International Students, 1 pm, EB 1027
August 24, 2018 New IE Graduate Student Orientation
August 20, 2018 Fall 2018 Semester Begins - Welcome Everyone!
August 13, 2018 New International Student Orientation
May 5, 2018 2018 ITU Graduation Dinner, 7-9 pm, University Restaurant
May 5, 2018 Spring 2018 Commencement
April 25 & 27, 2018 IE Senior Design Project Presentation, EB 1027
March 5-9, 2018 No Classes - Spring Break
March 1, 2018 SIUE Career Fair - School of Engineering
February 22, 2018 School of Engineering Award Banquet & IE IPAC Meeting
December 16, 2017 Fall 2017 Commencement
November 11, 2017 School of Engineering Open House
November 10, 2017 SIUE Preview - II
October 9, 2017 SIUE Preview - I
September 29, 2017 2nd IE & ME Joint Fall Picnic
September 1, 2017 New Graudate Student Orientation - 11 am, EB 2160
August 21, 2017 Fall 2017 Semester Begins - Welcome Everyone!
May 6, 2017 2017 ITU Graduation Dinner - 7-9 pm, University Restaurant
May 6, 2017 Spring 2017 Commencement - 5 pm, Vadalabene Center
April 26 & 28, 2017 IE Senior Design Project Presentation - EB 1027
April 2, 2017 SOE 2017 Honors Day - Meridian Ballroom in Morris University Center
March 31, 2017 Job Search Workshop for IE Undergraduate Students hosted by IE Graduate Student Council
March 3, 2017 First Free MATLAB Programming Session for IE Students - 5 Sessions in Spring 2017
February 23, 2017 School of Engineering Award Banquet & IE IPAC Meeting
Janurary 4-6, 2017 The Art of Leadership Certificate Program, Sponsored by Pinnacle Foods
December 17, 2016 Fall Commencement
November 12, 2016 SOE IE Open House
October 14, 2016 IE Ph.D. Student, Ali Panahi, Dissertation Defense
October 7, 2016 1st IE & ME Joint Fall Picnic